Thinking today about fortune…
I found many quotes about fortune favoring boldness or bravery:
- Fortune favors the audacious. Desiderius Erasmus
- Fortune favors the bold. Virgil
- Fortune and love favor the brave. Ovid
- Fortune always favors the brave, and never helps a man who does not help himself. P. T. Barnum
Then I took a little road trip.
I found this fascinating article about how changing a simple thing like font can improve retention and student performance.
- Fortune favors the bold (and the italicized).
(Diemand-Yauman, C., et al. Fortune favors the ( ): Effects of disfluency on educational outcomes. Cognition (2010), doi:10.1016/j.cognition.2010.09.012)
And I found a quote from an entrepreneur, a young woman who followed her dreams and started an e-commerce fashion site
- Fortune favors action! If you are reading this sitting on a job you don’t like, quit your daydreaming and start living the dream. Ishita Sharma
This seemed an appropriate quote to follow hers:
- In an über world, fortune favors the freelancer. Tyler Cowan (New York Times, June 27, 2015)
Louis Pasteur, the Father of Microbiology, kept cropping up.
- Fortune favors the prepared mind. Louis Pasteur
Really, I was looking for a quote about bowling. Something along the lines of
- Fortune favors those with bumpers in their alleys.
I can’t find anybody who said that though.
But I know it to be true.
5 thoughts on “Fortune favors…”
Very informative! Thanks for posting about these quotes.
Bumpers couldn’t hurt 🙂
It’s definitely true, especially for the parents of young children who can’t handle the emotional distress of a gutter ball.
For some reason I thought the Virgil quote was Shakespeare.
The internet is never wrong. :-p
Comments are closed.